The American Red Cross Hospital, London

The American Women’s Hospital for Officers at 98-99 Lancaster Gate, Bayswater, London, was administered by the American Women’s War Relief Committee . The hospital was founded in March 1917 with the help of Sir William Osler Bt. It was officially opened by the American Ambassador, Walter Hines Page (1855-1918). The Chairman of the hospital was Lady Randolph Churchill and it was funded by the American Women’s War Relief Fund providing between 40 and 50 beds for wounded ‘Reggies’ (young Officers). 

In December 1917, the management of the hospital was handed over to the American Red Cross Commissioner for Great Britain, Major William Endicott. The hospital was given the designation of American Red Cross Hospital No. 22 and expanded its original capacity of 48 beds to 105. The nursing staff consisted of a British Matron, 5 British Nursing Sisters, 3 American nurses (during 1918) and 8 nursing members of Voluntary Aid Detachments of the British Red Cross. One of the hospital’s consulting physicians was Professor Sir Robert Armstrong-Jones, CBE (1857-1943) who at the time was a lieutenant-colonel in the Royal Army Medical Corps. Sir William Osler Bt. was also a regular visiting consultant.

In March 1918 Lt George DEAKIN MC (1896-1943) who served with the Royal Engineers in France, was admitted to the hospital with a gunshot wound to his thigh. In July 1918, the poet Siegfried L. Sassoon (1886-1967), 1st Sussex Yeomanry, was also admitted as a patient after being wounded in the head.

The hospital closed in 1919 after the end of the First World War.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *